Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, including new UK unemployment statistics
- Breaking: UK redundancies jumps to 156,000 in last quarter
- That’s 48,000 more than previous three months
- Economists: Redundancies will keep rising
- Jobless rate rises to 4.1%
- Payrolled employment has fallen by 700,000 since March
- More than five million people still furloughed
Domino’s Pizza, Britain’s biggest pizza delivery chain, is bucking the job loss trend by hiring 5,000 more staff.
With its busiest time of the year approaching, Domino’s announced today it will take on more pizza chefs, delivery drivers and customer service staff, on top of the 6,000 jobs already created this year.
Over in the City, meanwhile, shares in Ocado have jumped 6% after it reported a surge in sales over the last quarter.
The home delivery grocer posted a 52% increase in sales in the 13 weeks to 30 August, as the pandemic continued to drive more customers to online shopping.